What Does a Naturopathic Consultation Involve?
Consultations are conducted by Carina Harkin. As a triple degree qualified practitioner in acupuncture, naturopathy and homeopathy, Carina combines the techniques from all three modalities, including case history taking skills, diagnostic skills and treatment.
Carina studied 3 x 4 year full time Australian Bachelor of Health Science degrees in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). Each degree totalled 96 contact hours per month as opposed to many Many naturopathy or nutritional therapy courses in Ireland and the UK that are 14 hours per month contact only.
A good naturopath is taught we do not need machines to test. Carina describes herself as an old school Naturopath and relies on symptoms derived during a consultation to derive her naturopathic diagnosis. Particular symptoms indicate an underlying naturopathic cause including a specific vitamin or mineral deficiency. In order to ascertain a naturopathic diagnosis, Using questioning skills from each modality Carina is able to take a more comprehensive case history. To confirm diagnosis, Carina combines Chinese diagnostic techniques including tongue and pulse diagnosis, in combination with iridology and nail analysis along with blood test results from your GP.
A Naturopathic Diagnosis is holistic and assesses the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual aspects of a person. For example from a Western Medical Perspective you may be medically diagnosed as Hypothyroid however, from a Naturopathic Medical Perspective your diagnosis might be;
- Decreased Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) due to "Functional Hypothyroid".
- Poor breakdown of fats and increased visceral adiposity due to a "Sluggish Liver".
- Excess cravings for carbohydrates due to “Insulin Resistance” and "Functional Hypoglycaemia".
- Long term stress leading to "Adrenal Exhaustion", cortisol spikes and resultant weight gain
- Long term stress leading to “Nervous System Exhaustion” and emotional eating
- Nutritional deficiencies of Iodine, EFAs, selenium
Treatment Principles would thus be
- Tonify the thyroid to boost BMR
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Balance blood sugar
- Tonify the adrenal gland
- Nourish the nervous system
- Replace nutritional deficiencies
Treatment in the terms of dietary, lifestyle, supplement and herbal medicine recommendations are then derived from these treatment principles.
As an Acupuncturist, Carina will diagnose your Pattern of Disharmony according to Traditional Chinese Medicine. In obesity, it may be something like Cold Damp Accumulation due to Spleen Qi and Yang Deficiency. Carina prescribes Acupuncture, Chinese Herbal Medicine and Chinese Dietary Therapy to treat your Pattern of Disharmony. Rather than prescribing Chinese Herbal Patent Formulas, Carina specialises in preparing Traditional Chinese Herbal Formulations in organic tincture form as these are superior quality
Once Carina has confirmed her Naturopathic Diagnosis, she will then explain the Naturopathic Causes of your condition from a Naturopathic Perspective so that you can remove these causes to the best of your ability and have a better chance for cure, depending also, on the strength of your Vital Force. As the "Stress-Less Naturopath" Carina tailor a Health Management Solution to suit your lifestyle.
Carina's goal in treatment is not to see you (except for occasions like weddings, births and seasonal flu). Carina wants you to get better and, once over the hurdle of managing your presenting symptoms, you will be taught how to maintain your health with natural remedies.
Carina strained in pharmacology, herbal and supplement contraindications and drug/nutrient, drug/herb interactions and can prescribe safely if you are pregnant and breastfeeding or on medication. As a Herbalist and Nutritionist Carina specialises in matching the pharmacological actions of drugs with natural alternatives using compounds found in food and herbs. Ans supplements.
Carina wholeheartedly believes that Natural Medicine is a real alternative in this antibioutcs apocalypse drug resistant disease world. As a naturopath Carina believes in supporting the natural healthy expression of disease hence believes that suppressing symptoms damages your Vital Force/Qi. Carina believes in promoting natural immunity and always aims to strengthen your Vital Force and boost your natural immunity.
What to expect during a naturopathic consultation?
At either a consult in person or an online consultation I will;
- Discuss your presenting symptoms
- Discuss any medications that you take to ensure that there are no drug/nutrient or drug/herb contraindications with proposed or current treatment
- Discuss your past health history
- Discuss your family history
- Ask you questions about relevant body systems to gain a better understanding of your condition
- Perform nail analysis and tongue and pulse diagnosis to asses for mineral deficiencies (For online consult you will need to email photo of tongue)
- Perform Iridology (for online consult you will need to attach photo of left and right iris)
- Take your blood pressure
- May recommend blood or other tests
- Explain the Naturopathic Causes of your health issues from a Naturopathic Medical Perspective
- Provide a diagnosis from a Chinese Medical Perspective
- Prescribe Treatment in the terms of diet, (including Chinese Dietary Therapy), lifestyle, herbal medicine, homeopathy and supplements.
- Provide ongoing support through www.carahealth.com Online Naturopathic Health Resource and Consultant Services.
- Face-to-face consultation includes acupuncture according to your Pattern of Disharmony.
Why see one practitioner when you can see three for the price of one!
Please consult a naturopath or your doctor before taking natural remedies if you are on medication or if symptoms persist.
Carina Harkin BHSc.Nat.BHSc.Hom.BHSc.Acu.
Cert IV TAE. ARCHTI mem.