Dandelion is chologogue, depurative, diuretic, hepatic, hypoglycaemic, laxative and tonic. Dandelion is a commonly used herbal remedy. The root is a cholagogue and promotes the flow of bile to assist in the emulsification of fats. The plant is used in the treatment of gall bladder and urinary disorders, gallstones, jaundice, cirrhosis, dyspepsia with constipation, oedema associated with high blood pressure and heart weakness, chronic joint and skin complaints, gout, eczema and acne. The German Commission E Monographs, a therapeutic guide to herbal medicine, approve Taraxacum officinalis for dyspepsia, urinary tract infections, liver and gallbladder complaints, appetite loss. (1)
In Traditional Chinese Medicine Dandelion is called Pu Gong Ying 蒲公英. Pu Gong Ying is said to enter the Liver, Stomach and Kidneys channels and to clear Heat, relieve Toxicity, reduce abscesses, dissipate nodules and resolve Damp-Heat. (2)
Dandelion root displays hypolipidemic and antioxidant Effects and could protect against oxidative stress linked atherosclerosis and decrease the atherogenic index. (3)
The hepatoprotective effects of Taraxacum officinale root against alcoholic liver damage have been observed in both vitro and in vivo studies. (4, 5)
The root is hypoglycaemic and displays an anti-diabetic effect. (6)
1. PFAF. Taraxacum officinale 2019 [Available from: https://pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?LatinName=Taraxacum+officinale.
2. Healing WRIo. Dandelion (Pu Gong Ying) 2019 [Available from: https://www.whiterabbitinstituteofhealing.com/herbs/dandelion/.
3. Choi U-K, Lee O-H, Yim JH, Cho C-W, Rhee YK, Lim S-I, et al. Hypolipidemic and antioxidant effects of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) root and leaf on cholesterol-fed rabbits. International journal of molecular sciences. 2010;11(1):67-78.
4. You Y, Yoo S, Yoon HG, Park J, Lee YH, Kim S, et al. In vitro and in vivo hepatoprotective effects of the aqueous extract from Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) root against alcohol-induced oxidative stress. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48(6):1632-7.
5. Hfaiedh M, Brahmi D, Zourgui L. Hepatoprotective effect of Taraxacum officinale leaf extract on sodium dichromate-induced liver injury in rats. Environmental toxicology. 2016;31(3):339-49.
6. Iddrisu I, Oduro I, Tandoh MA, Annan RA. Anti-diabetic effect of dandelion leaves and roots in type two diabetic patients: A systematic review. 2015;45(3):479-92.